Decades of the 20th Century
An Internet Hotlist on Decades in the 20th Century
created by Mrs. Aulie
Walled Lake Secondary Media Centers
| Contains information on all decades of the 20th Century
| Specific topics of the 20th Century
| Specific Decades
These web sites have been created for students working on a project about each of the decades during the 20th Century.
The sites listed give accurate, authentic and reliable information.
The Internet Resources
Contains information on all decades of the 20th Century
- American Cultural History: The Twentieth Century - Contains information decade by decade on Art & Architecture; Books & Literature; Education; Fads & Fashion; Historic events & technology; Music, theater and film; People and personalities
- EyeWitness - The 20th Century - First-person accounts of some crucial, memorable, and dramatic events in the history of the 20th century. From Ibis Communications, a digital publisher of educational programming. Includes source information, references, and illustrations; searchable.
- World History- HyperHistory - Interactive presentation of world history through profiles, time lines, and maps of civilizations and empires. Traces events in science, arts, religion, and politics. Ambitious project of Swiss architect Andreas Nothiger and German historian Arno Peters.
- Year by Year 1900-2010 - Information Please has been provides suthoritative answers to all kinds of factual questions.
- History of Flight Timeline - The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics provides a decade-by-decade time line of the history of aerospace.
- Visual Arts Timeline 1904-1914 - This chronology includes all of the visual arts; not only painting and sculpture, but also cartoons, photography, and architecture.
Specific topics of the 20th Century
- Making the Modern World - Interactive time line of major innovations and inventions from 1750 to the present, based on the exhibits at the Science Museum in London. Each section is accompanied by learning modules packed with information and multimedia features.
- A Science Odyssey - A databank consisting of 120 entries about 20th century scientists and their stories.
- A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust - An overview of the people and events of the Holocaust through photographs, documents, art, music, movies and literature.
- Ad Age Advertising Century: Introduction - This special online issue of 'Advertising Age' (a leading industry magazine) examines the 20th century's best ad campaigns and most influential people in American advertising and marketing as well as top slogans, jingles, and icons. With an excellent history time line.
- Conflict Map - The official Web site of the Nobel Prize offers a 'Conflict Map' showing where interstate, colonial, civil, and world wars were fought in the 20th century. Includes brief summaries of the conflict scenarios.
- New Deal Network - Includes a database of photographs, political cartoons, and texts ( speeches, letters, and other historic documents from the New Deal period) with over 3,000 items, many of which previously acessible only to scholars. Sponsored by the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute.
- Riding the Rails ( PBS) - Part of PBS's American Experience television series, this site focuses on the plight of more than a quarter million teenagers living on the road in America. There is a timeline, maps, 'tales for the rails', Hobo songs, a teacher's guide, recommended resources and more.
- Women of the Century: 100 Years of American Heroes - An annotated list of more than 50 Amaerican women of the 20th Century who left an incredible mark on our nation. Browse decade by decade or in categories of activists and reformers, politics and government, arts and media, space and science, and sports and exploration.
- Clash of Culture in the 1910's and 1920's - An attractive and informative site on cultural tensions, including information on prohibition, immigration, the KKK, the New Woman and the Scopes Trial. Produced by Ohio State University History Department.
- The Fifties Index - The FiftiesWeb began as a site devoted to the 50s, Since then it has expanded to include Classic TV from the Sixties, 70s and even some 80s TV shows. Fifties fashion wasn't enough, everybody wanted to see hippie clothes. so Sixties Fashion was added. Movie quotes now cover all decades. Celebrity Deaths pays tribute to those who have died. There is tons of information about Elvis Presley not to mention the Beatles. Included with history of the Fifties, a feature was added about the Sixties Kennedy Assasination.
Content by Mrs. Aulie
Last revised Mon Feb 7 17:41:49 US/Pacific 2011