A Hotlist on Holiday Games for Elementary P.E.
An Internet Hotlist on Holiday Games for Elementary P.E.
created by Carole Kleinhesselink
| Valentine's Day
Use this sight to find some active and exciting holiday games to get your elementary students excited about holidays and PE class.
The Internet Resources
- It's the Great Pumpkin
- Tag game that practices chasing, fleeing, dodging and locomotor skills while encouraging students to follow directions.
- Pumpkins and Witches Tag
- To get the students moving, running, dodging, fleeing, and using personal and general space.
- Little Ghost
- To work on chasing, fleeing, and dodging during a Halloween based activity.
- Working Together is Boo-Ti-Ful
- Practice cooperative behaviors, self responsibility and motor skills while working with a partner.
- Pumpkin Patch
- To provide students with additional practice jumping rope.
- Witch's Hat Tag
- To engage in a fun tag game that has a holiday theme.
- Pumpkin Tag
- To start your class off with a fun tag game that is linked to a holiday theme.
- Healthy Haunted House
- To have the students participate in a fitness activity that relates to the time of year. This 'healthy haunted house' reinforces many skills that are covered in most P.E. programs and encourages the students to remain on task for an entire class period.
- Monster Mash
- To practice chasing, fleeing and dodging skills.
- Turkey Hunt Obstacle Course
- Every student has a fleece ball. Each target can be thrown at only once per round. After the throw the student recovers the ball and moves to the next obstacle.
- Pilgrims and The Storehouses
- In relay fashion students will gather supplies from a supply area or from each other. The game is over when a designated number of supplies have been gathered.
- Turkey Shoot
- Get some pictures of turkeys (K and 1 teachers usually have some), color and them laminate them. Tape them onto the front of plastic bowling pins or some other object (i.e.liter plastic bottles). You can set them on a bench or on the floor. Give the students yarn balls, bean bags or other throwing object and have them try to shoot the turkey by knocking them over ..
- Turkey Hunt
- In the middle of the gym set up folding mats on their ends - these are to be trees. Have half the students start at one of the gym.They will be the turkeys The rest of the students stand on the basketball court sidelines with yarn balls. They are the hunters. On your command the turkeys try to make it through the forest without getting hit. If they get hit they lay down on the gym floor. You can count how many turkeys the hunters got. Then the turkeys join the surviving turkeys for another run. Do it a couple of times and then switch roles.
- Turkeys and Indians
- Tag game based on the game of 'Crows and Cranes'
- Elves and the Reindeer
- This is a generic group of relay style races which can be modified and used for different holidays and seasons.
- Christmas Shoppers
- Parachute activity where students will attempt to catch presents (bean bags) that the class is shaking off the parachute.
- Sleigh Ride
- In relay fashion, one student sits on the parachute while the rest of the team pulls them to a designated area.
- Decorating the Christmas Trees
- The purpose of this activity is to work on the components of physical fitness while building self-esteem for completing a job well done.
- Grinch Stole Christmas
- To give students the opportunity to work on locomotor movements while chasing and fleeing in a fun holiday situation.
- Rudolph's Treasure
- To have students work together to maneuver their sleighs (scooters) through the North Pole (the gym) to rescue Rudolph's treasure (beanbags) while staying away from Grinches (taggers)
- Jingle Bells Streamer Routine
- To have students practice keeping a rhythm and to have them create their own routines to the tune of Jingle Bells.
- Decorate a Tree
- To decorate a tree with 6 ornaments that are earned by completing various fitness exercises.
- Valentine Volley
- Students will find the matching half to their heart and complete a volleying activity with that partner.
- Broken Heart Station Warm-up
- To provide a fun warm-up to incorporate cooperation, Valentines Day, and fitness.
- Valentines for the Heart
- A fun warm up activity to create a positive atmosphere on Valentine's Day.
- Valentine Tag
- To have students engaged in a fun warm up fitness tag game that incorporates a valentine's theme.
- Valentine Rescue
- To give students the opportunity to practice their chasing, fleeing, and dodging skills in a fun holiday game situation.
- Locomotor Easter Egg Hunt
- Practice basic locomotor skills and increase aerobic endurance.
- Easter Egg Dribble
- For students to dribble and trap a ball with their feet using control and different directions and pathways.
- Easter Egg Bonanza
- To teach students how to pass a soccer ball under control so they understand the force necessary to reach a target.
- EGG-ercise Relays
- This is a fun holiday circuit training activity that promotes good sportsmanship and encourages students to challenge themselves using a variety of throwing and catching tasks.
- Hop on Down the Bunny Trail
- To build teamwork and practice locomotor skills in a fun, seasonal type activity.
- Movin' Down the Bunny Trail
- To increase heart rate while at the same time having students work on their cooperative skills.
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Increase cardiovascular endurance and develop the components of health related fitness.
Content by Carole Kleinhesselink, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last revised Fri Feb 27 8:56:00 US/Pacific 2004