Help for Middle School English/Language Arts Teachers
An Internet Hotlist on "The Diary of Anne Frank"
created by Jamie O'Keefe
| Lesson Plans/Activities/Study Guides
| Resource Websites
| Historical Background/Preparation
Are you a middle school English/Language Arts teacher overwhelmed with the dizzying number of websites on 'The Diary of Anne Frank' and looking for a simple, easy-to-follow guide to some quality sites offering WebQuests, Activities, Lesson Plans, Study Guides, Resources, and/or Historical Background on Anne Frank and her writing? Well, you've found it here with a Hotlist of Anne Frank web pages.
Gone are all the pages selling the diary, the play, or the video. And the sites announcing theater productions are removed as well! What you have before you is a compilation of good, useable websites to help you present 'The Diary of Anne Frank' to your students without having to go through the headache-inducing nightmare of viewing the more than 38,000 entries found on a Google search! This Hotlist is comprised of 30 of the best sites from among the first 200 pages of the above-mentioned Google search, with a few examples of BEWARE! sites for your edification. I hope you find this Hotpage a useable companion to your own teaching materials. Enjoy!
The Internet Resources
- Anne Frank: A Timeline Adventure
- This is a two-task WebQuest that starts with the World of Anne Frank, the Holocaust, Death Camps, and Rescuers and continues on to explore the Holocaust Art of David Olere.
- The Diary of Anne Frank, a WebQuest
- This is a simple WebQuest designed to give students a better understanding of the Holocaust and Anne Frank's time in hiding.
- Understanding Anne Frank
- This is a 9th-grade-level English/Language Arts and History content area WebQuest aimed to improve students' understanding of the Holocaust through the study of Anne Frank's writing.
- The Diary of Anne Frank -- Act I
- A Middle School level English/Language Arts and Social Studies WebQuest designed to create understanding of the Holocaust through the writings of Anne Frank.
- The Diary of Anne Frank -- Act 2
- A companion site to Act 1, this site adds new study questions for Act 2 as a continuation of the WebQuest.
- 'The Diary of Anne Frank'
- A one-page simple WebQuest for background information to the Holocaust and the times of Anne Frank.
Lesson Plans/Activities/Study Guides
- Anne Frank in the World, 1929-1945 Teacher's Workbook
- A plain but excellent site full of Background, Lesson Plans, Readings, Timelines, more. Beware the Glossary-- it's a headache!
- A Study Guide for the Diary, including Summary, Characters, Themes, Key Facts, Study Questions, and a Quiz. May be helpful to focus on important elements of the Diary.
- Classic Notes: The Diary of Anne Frank
- Contains summary of Background, Themes, Character List, Analysis, Essay Topics, Essays, Quiz, and more.
- The Diary of Anne Frank: book notes, free study guide
- A free study guide on the Author/Context, Plot Summary, and Characters in the Diary.
- The Diary of Anne Frank -- Branching Out
- Contains on-line activities, lesson plans, and classroom activities designed for Middle School students.
- Literature Connections: Teaching Guide
- This textbook publisher site contains Literature Connections, Further Reading & Related Reading Lists, Classroom Activities, Cross-curricular Activities, and Research Assignments. Highly Recommended!
- Anne Frank and the Holocaust
- A High School-level site providing background information on the Holocaust, writing activities, and oral presentation topics. May be useful to adapt ideas for Middle School use.
- The Diary of Anne Frank -- A Web-Bit
- This Web-Bit(?) for Middle School students has pre-reading links, questions, video and post-reading classroom activities.
- The Diary of Anne Frank, Act I, Scenes 1 - 3 Graphic Organizer...
- This site contains four pages of downloadable graphic organizers useful as classroom activities/study guides.
- The Diary of Anne Frank: Unit Daily Lesson Plans
- A 15-day Lesson Planner with Computer Lab component and classroom activities including Background, Vocabulary, Lists, Test, Journal Writing, and more.
- Anne Frank & Her Diary
- A Timeline with in-text links for Background, Understanding, and Clarification; Teacher's guide with lesson plans and more!
- Teaching with Jewish-Themed Literature and Videos
- Pre-and post-reading/viewing classroom activities, teacher tips, and internet links provided for teaching 'The Diary of Anne Frank' and other Jewish literature.
- Anne Frank -- Victim of the Holocaust
- A Middle School-level 4-week English/Language Arts & Social Studies Unit with individual, group, and whole class projects, Timeline, writing activities, and an on-line internet information scavenger hunt. Excellent!
- 'The Diary of Anne Frank' Stage Model
- A student model of the staging for the play, done as an alternative assignment. May spark ideas in other student's heads, or may be useful for viewing in class.
- Anne Frank Center, USA
- This site has links to international Anne Frank sites, as well as a Teacher link for Background, Biographies, Timeline, Glossary of Terms, Required Reading, Curriculum, and a Study Guide to the play.
- Anne Frank Homepage
- Offers Background information about Anne, her family, and the house. Offered in Dutch, German, & Spanish as well as English.; some links not working.
- Miep Gies and the Diary of Anne Frank
- This biographical site details Miep's role in helping the Frank family hide from the Nazis.
- The Tragedy of Anne Frank
- Provides documents on Real History -- articles on Anne Frank's writing such as: Who really turned Anne over to the Nazis? Also pictures of Anne and photos of diary entries from the original. Quite interesting.
- The Diary of Anne Frank -- Education
- Background information on the rise of Hitler & Nazism and anti-semitism. Beware the distracting pop-ups!
- Encyclopedia: The Diary of Anne Frank
- An encyclopedic resource with in-text links, further reading list, and external links to Anne Frank House and more.
- One Voice: From the Pen of Anne Frank
- An on-line exhibit of Anne Frank and her writings containing further internet links.
- Anne Frank the Writer/An Unfinished Story
- A web-links resource site with pictures, audio interviews, video clips, and views of original Anne Frank writings.
- Anne Frank House
- A Travel site to book hotels in Amsterdam and the Netherlands -- don't let the name fool you. There are lots of these kinds of sites found in a search.
- The Diary of Anne Frank -- Topics: WWII and Holland
- This is a Paysite ($8.99/yr.) that offers learning guides, vocabulary, discussion questions, class projects. Why pay when there's so much available for free?
- The Diary of Anne Frank Example Essays
- This is an example of one of the many Essay-for-Sale sites of which you should be aware; a sad, but true aspect of the state of education today.
Content by Jamie O'Keefe, email@example.com
Last revised Mon Dec 15 13:16:56 US/Pacific 2003