Pre-K - 2nd Grade Social Studies
An Internet Hotlist on Tech Tools
created by Mrs. Caroline LaMagna
| Small Wonder Cameras
| Brainpop, Jr.
Here are some resources for Tech Tools you can use in your Pre-K - 2nd grade classroom to support the social studies standards of learning. Many of these resources can be used in other content areas as well.
The Internet Resources
- 01 - DLTK Activities - Thanksgiving themed coloring pages, crafts, poems, songs, worksheets, and other printable activities
- 02 - DLTK Christmas Activities - Christmas themed coloring pages, crafts, poems, songs, worksheets, and other printable activities
- 03 - Holiday - Kwanzaa Place Cards - Enchanted Learning place card craft
- 04 - Holiday - Kwanzaa Paper Doll - Printable paper doll craft/activity
- 05 - Holiday Menorah Craft - Printable Menorah craft/activity
- 06 - Discovery Education's Puzzlemaker - Create your own puzzles to print out! You can make a custom word search, crossword puzzle, fallen phrases, mazes, etc. You can even make a word search with a hidden message.
- 07 - Polar Express Word Search - Printable word search - terms from the story
- 08 - Holiday Hidden Message Word Search - Find all the words in the word list to reveal a hidden message
- 09 - Make Your Own Tracer Pages - Create custom tracer pages to print out - letters and/or whole words.
- 10 - Holiday Tracer Page - Pre-K - Kindergarten - Students will trace 'Happy Holidays' on the first two lines, then complete the same words (only first few letters given) on the next two lines. There are holiday pictures for them to color at the bottom of the page.
- 11 - Holiday Tracer Page - First Grade - Students will trace 'During my Winter Break I will' and then complete the sentence on the next two lines. There is space at the bottom of the page for them to draw a picture.
- 12 - Holiday Writing Activity - 2nd Grade - Download and view this Power Point. It includes a writing assignment - a paragraph about what students normally do, or would like to do, during the Winter Break. Paragraph examples and a mini-lesson are included.
- 13 - Scholastic Holiday Site - This site can be used in conjunction with the winter holiday activities above
- 14 - Thanksgiving Themed Tracer Page - Printable Writing Activity for Pre-K and Kindergarten - Students will trace the word “Thanksgiving” on the first line and then the second line just has the “Th” – they would have to try to write the rest of the word imitating the line above it. There are pictures at the bottom for them to color.
- 15 - Thanksgiving Themed Writing Activity - Grade 1 - Download and print this tracer page. Students will trace “On Thanksgiving, my family” and then they will complete the sentence on their own. There is a blank space at the bottom for them to draw a picture.
- 16 - Thanksgiving Themed Writing Activity - Grade 2 - Download and view this Power Point. It includes a writing assignment - a paragraph about their favorite Thanksgiving memory. Examples and a mini-lesson are included.
- 17 - History of Thanksgiving - The Thanksgiving writing activities can be used in conjunction with this site
Small Wonder Cameras
- NASA Distance Learning Network - Great resource for videoconferencing - just register (Suffolk Public Schools), then go to the Event Catalog and search for a session!
- Question and Answer Cards - Sample - Pre-K - Kindergarten sample Question and Answer cards for use during videoconference as a 'class to class challenge'
- Question and Answer Cards - Template - Template for creating your own Q & A cards - insert images or other questions in the table on page one and answers on page 2. Duplicate for more Q & A cards.
- Bingo Cards - example - 25 Map Symbols Bingo Cards and Call Sheet - includes template for Bingo Cards and Call Sheet. *Note: this is a .zip file. After downloading, you will need to right click and choose 'extract all'
- Maps and Directions - Interactive Power Point (multiple-choice questions)
- Maps and Symbols - Interactive Power Point (multiple-choice questions)
- Brainpop, Jr. - Browse for video lessons (which include post-viewing quizzes and other activities), you can search standards by State, Subject, and Grade Level, and you can join Brainpop Educators for access to lesson plans and more - joining Brainpop Educators is FREE!
- Brainpop, Jr. - Social Studies - Click on Holidays to access holiday activities
Content by Mrs. Caroline LaMagna, email@example.com
Last revised Tue Jan 29 11:32:26 US/Pacific 2013