created by Carol-Ann Sage
Cardinal O'Hara High School
Introduction | The Task | The Process & Resources | Conclusion | HyperText Dictionary
You have been transported into another galaxy far far away, where the High Council of the planet Sageon is most suspicious of change in any form. The Council however, is also curious about you and Earth's history. In particular they are most concerned with the development of art, music, literature, religion, and science. The Sageon High Council would like to develope these aspects of their civilization but are distrustful of the possible outcomes.
Lord Blick-Click, head of the Council, has commissioned your Terran delegation to provide detailed information regarding the periods known as the Renaissance and Reformation--the two time periods which most frighten the Sageons. They have therefore provided you and your fellow delegates with a sacred task.
You are ordered by the High Council to provide necessary information about the Renaissance and Reformation which will save Sageon civilization from stagnation.
How did the Renaissance and Reformation reflect changes in the development of art, music, literature, religion, and science.
In this WebQuest you will be working together with a partner. Each partnership will answer the question listed above for their specific section. With your partner you will explore Webpages from people all over the world who care about Renaissance and Reformation. Because these are real Webpages you are tapping into, not things made just for schools, the reading level might challenge you. Feel free to use the online Webster dictionary or one in your classroom.
You'll begin by sharing general information available to the entire Terran delegation. Next you and your partnership will concentrate on your own section of this task.
Use the Internet information linked below to answer the basic questions of who? what? where? when? why? and how? Be creative in exploring the information so that you answer these questions as fully and insightfully as you can.
- Luminarium - art and literature of the Renaissance
- Consolatium Philosophorum - A survey of Renaissance ideas, art, and literture.
- The Renaissance Popes - A lits of Renaissance Popes
- Europe in the Renaissance - general information
- Class outline - General overview
- The Northern REnaissance - art in northern Europe
1. Pairs from your Terran delegation team will explore one of the roles below.
2. Read through the files linked to your group. If you print out the files, underline the passages that you feel are the most important. If you look at the files on the computer, copy sections you feel are important by dragging the mouse across the passage and copying / pasting it into a word processor or other writing software.
3. Note: Remember to write down or copy/paste the URL of the file you take the passage from so you can quickly go back to it if you need to to prove your point.
4. Be prepared to focus what you've learned into one main opinion that answers the Big Quest(ion) or Task based on what you have learned from the links for your role.
Art and LiteratureUse the Internet information linked below to answer these questions specifically related to Art and Literature:
1. How were the Italian and French schools of art similar?
2. What were the names and works of five Renaissance artists?
Northern RenaissanceUse the Internet information linked below to answer these questions specifically related to Northern Renaissance:
1. How did the Renaissance differ in Northern Europe?
2. What were the names and works of three northern Renaissance artists?
Protestant , Catholic, and English ReformationsUse the Internet information linked below to answer these questions specifically related to Protestant , Catholic, and English Reformations:
1. Compare and contrast the causes of the Protestant, Catholic, and English Reformations?
Scientific RevolutionUse the Internet information linked below to answer these questions specifically related to Scientific Revolution:
1. What were the causes of the Scientific Revolution?
2. How were new discoveries perceived by the Church?
3. Name three people who were important to the Scientific Revolution.
Each partnership has researced different parts of the Renaissance and Reformation. Now it is time for your delegation to report to the Sageon High Council. Each team will bring a certain viewpoint to the answer to our original question. Using information, pictures, facts, and supported opinions from the Webpages you have explored to convince the High Council that they can learn from the Terran periods known as the Renaissance and Reformation.
The format requested by Lord Blick-Click has been illustrated below. It will be necessary for you render both a written presentation, as well as an oral presentation.
1. Begin your presentation with a statement of who you are and what you will be discussing.
2. Give background information that shows you understand the topic.
STATE THE TASK / QUEST(ION) AND YOUR Team's ANSWER.
3. Each person in your group should write a two page report that gives enough information that the High Council can determine how to proceed with understanding changes that are occuring on their planet. You will need to document all of your sources--or you will be vaporized by the Sageons.
Your Contact is: the designated contact
The Renaissance and Reformation affected changes in the development of Western Civilization.
Content by Carol-Ann Sage, email@example.com
Last revised Thu Sep 25 5:40:48 US/Pacific 2003